Giants vs. Jaguars: First look at Week 1 matchup How will the New York

Giants vs. Jaguars: First look at Week 1 matchup How will the New York

liny195

25 Oct 2018 at 22:16
Giants www.newyorkgiantsteamonline.com , a team with a new GM, coach, and more than 30 players who weren’t on the team last season, fare in 2018? We get our first real taste on Sunday when they open the season by facing the Jacksonville Jaguars.That will be a stern test for the Giants. While they are wiping away a 3-13 season, the Jaguars are coming off an appearance in the AFC Championship Game.“We’re playing an outstanding football team, a team that fell one game short of going to the Super Bowl,” Giants coach Pat Shurmur said. “I experienced that last year in Minnesota, so they’ve assembled a very fine football team. They’ve got a quarterback that plays winning football, they were the number one rushing team in the league last year.”The Giants will have Odell Beckham Jr., Saquon Barkley, Eli Manning, Evan Engram (out of concussion protocol) on the field together for the first time.“There’s just so many weapons all over the place. It’ll be like fireworks out there going off,” said fullback Shane Smith. “Real excited about all those guys getting out there and seeing how the defenses are even going to be able to respond to that.“There should be a lot of mismatches.”The Giants may or may not have defensive end Olivier Vernon, who is “making great progress” in his recovery from an ankle injury, according to Shurmur.The game will also bring Tom Coughlin, now in charge of personnel with the Jaguars, back to MetLife Stadium.“I have certainly heard a lot about Tom and his years here -- 12 years. He helped the organization win two Super Bowls,” Shurmur said. “Prior to coming here, I have a professional friendship with Tom and we’ve been able to communicate. One of the guys I talked to when I was talking to former players and coaches was Tom in the offseason, and I’ve communicated with him a few times in the offseason. I’m going to go to his fundraiser (the Jay Fund Champions for Children gala) on (Sept.) 21st. I have great respect for Tom and what he accomplished, and certainly he left a very, very strong mark on this organization. All good stuff.”The Giants entered the week as 3-point underdogs.Stay with us all week as we bring you all the news New York Giants T-Shirt , features and analysis you need to be ready this Sunday’s season-opener.The Giants are back to practice after their victory in Detroit The New York Giants were back to practice Sunday afternoon. They players took Saturday to recover — and get treatment if necessary — following their preseason game against the Detroit Lions. The coaches, meanwhile used Saturday to break down and evaluate the tape from Friday night’s game.The team had a “quick, light practice” without pads as they look to address the mistakes made against the Lions before turning their sights toward the New York Jets on Friday. Whether or not the Giants intended to make Sunday’s practice a lighter one, the grey, drizzly weather might have influenced the decision. It was back to the field for the Giants, even if it was a slightly soggy field.For the first time in camp, the Giants introduced “crowd noise” into practice. Perhaps to get them ready for their annual game against the Jets, in which the intra-city rivalry is played out.And, of course, Odell Beckham Jr. warmed up in his customary fashion. In one potential change coming from the Lions’ game, second team inside linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong was spotted playing with the first team on Sunday. Armstrong has played well for the Giants in practice and has showed off his range against the Lions and the Cleveland Browns. His range in coverage could help deal with running backs and tight ends while Alec Ogletree puts his ability as a blitzer to use.On the offensive side of the ball, Jonathan Stewart is the starting running back — despite strong play from Wayne Gallman. Shurmur said that the team would adapt and adjust to the injuries at the running back position, and part of doing so was to use Kaliff Raymond as a runner with the third team offense. Fullback Shane Smith was also used as a running back.In the passing game, Eli Manning was reportedly sharp throughout practices in Detroit and has apparently carried that through to Sunday’s practice. Personnel notesSaquon Barkley, Connor Barwin, and Darian Thompson remain out. They’re joined by Jalen Simmons (concussion), Thurston Armbrister, and Calvin Munson (concussion).Donte Deayon, Travis Rudolph, and Ryan O’Malley are back at practice.