8/13: Light day for Eli Manning, more headlines Good mornin

8/13: Light day for Eli Manning, more headlines Good mornin

liny195

20 Dec 2018 at 22:31
Giants news Color Rush Kareem Martin Jersey , g, New York Giants fans! Here are some headlines to get your Monday started.Light day for Eli ManningQuarterback Eli Manning only took a few reps on Sunday. Davis Webb took the rest of the first-team reps and Kyle Lauletta moved up to take second-team reps.“That was two-fold. It gave him a little less and that allowed the other quarterbacks to get a little more,” said head coach Pat Shurmur.No. 2 QB job up for grabs?With his impressive showing Thursday did Kyle Lauletta crack open the door and give himself a chance to take the backup quarterback job away from Davis Webb? Only Shurmur knows for sure.“I think it is,” Lauletta said Sunday when asked if he thought that job was open. “Nobody’s said Davis is definitely the backup, or me. Doesn’t matter. I’m going to do everything I can and perform as best as I can and that decision will be left up to Coach. Of course I’ll be doing everything I can in order to put my best foot forward and try to get that spot.”James Bettcher away for mother’s funeralDefensive coordinator James Bettcher was not at practice Sunday and won’t be there on Monday. “James’ mother passed away last week, and so he’s back (home) and they’re having the services this weekend,” Shurmur said. “He’s back in Indiana and he will meet us in Detroit.”Solder not happy with play vs. BrownsLeft tackle Nate Solder felt like he could have, make that should have, played better in Thursday’s preseason opener vs. the Cleveland Browns.“You always have to have the mindset of needing to improve, I wasn’t happy with the way I kind of slowly oozed into that game. I thought that you have to come out firing, ready to go first snap. I wasn’t happy with my preparation, I think I need to do better preparing for the game coming up,” Solder said. “I think that with every year, you have to get yourself in the mindset of playing four quarters. Your condition, your footwork, your fundamentals, all those things need to continue to ratchet up as the (season) comes closer.”Collins: Scheme will create pass rushWhere will the Giants pass rush come from? Landon Collins says the point is that in James Bettcher’s defense offenses will never know.“Not many teams know where we’re coming from, we make everything look like man (coverage). So you never know if we’re in man or zone coverage. This past game I came free three times. So, I was like, ‘If we just make sure we hold them for two more seconds, it’s a sack.’ But those open and wide-open tackles with Coach Bettcher’s defense, I think we’re going to have a lot of sacks, DB and linebacker wise. I think it’s going to be very open.”Connor Barwin “a little sore”Veteran EDGE rusher Connor Barwin was a limited practice participant Sunday. “He’s just a little sore from the game,” Shurmur said. “We’ll see how long he’s out.”Injuries complicate free safety competitionBoth Curtis Riley and Darian Thompson, who seem like the primary competitors for the free safety role Authentic Riley Dixon Jersey , have missed time recently with injuries. That is making it more difficult for the Giants to figure out what to do at the position.“It makes the evaluation tougher when guys are getting themselves nicked up,” Shurmur said. “Ideally, they’re all healthy all the time and you’re giving the same amount of reps and see what they can do. I’m not so sure that’s the real world, though.”Giants news, 8/15: Curtis Riley making bid for starting safety spot Good morning, New York Giants fans! Let’s check the headlines as the Giants and Detroit Lions get set for Day 2 of joint practices.Curtis Riley making push for starting safety job At the start of training camp, the Giants were rotating Curtis Riley, Darian Thompson, Andrew Adams and Michael Thomas at free safety. Over time, it has become apparent that the competition for the starting spot is really between Thompson and Riley.Right now, it’s a one-horse race.With Riley nursing a hamstring injury last week, Thompson got to start vs. the Cleveland Browns. He didn’t play particularly well, and he is now on the shelf with his own hamstring injury. Riley is back, working with the first team, and a strong showing Friday against the Detroit Lions could cement his spot as the starter.“I just got to keep being consistent, doing everything I’m doing right now,” Riley said on Tuesday. “Got to make sure I’m making all the right calls; I can’t go out there having technical errors and stuff like that. Just got to be consistent, that’s the main thing.”An undrafted player, Riley spent two years as a reserve cornerback with the Tennessee Titans. He came to the Giants this season, and they moved him to the safety spot. He impressed in the spring, and now has a golden opportunity in front of him.“I’ve never seen something like it, never been a part of it, never heard of it,” Riley said of the four-way free safety competition. “But it’s good, though. It’s a good thing to always have competition, that’s what the NFL is about. We got to come every day and compete Youth Evan Engram Jersey , because if I show up and I’m on a roller coaster of being good or bad and being down one day, that’s not good, because that could lead to a big play. I got to make sure I’m consistent every day. We’re all battling, they’re making sure they are consistent every day, and we leave it up to the coaches and the upstairs (football decision-makers).”A good performance this week by Riley could put the competition to rest.Shurmur: Beckham “did great”Odell Beckham Jr. participated extensively in team and individual drills on Monday.“He did great,” Shurmur said. “You’ve watched him all summer here, competing at practice. If you create the same setting, it’s just against a different team, then you’re just out there practicing, and that’s what he did.”Wayne Gallman: “Competition makes you better”Second-year running back Wayne Gallman is looking for a role in a backfield that will include No. 2 overall pick Saquon Barkley and an accomplished veteran in Jonathan Stewart. Shurmur said Tuesday that he is “gaining an appreciation for what he is as a runner, a pass catcher, and a blocker.”Gallman is just trying to get better.“The competition makes you better,” he said. “You want competition regardless of the fact even if you were the starter and everyone down the list weren’t going to start at any time, but still you want that competition in terms of being a better player for yourself. Also, you want that competition because you know you’re going to have competition throughout the year and wanting to be the best running back corps in the league.”Injury listOLB Connor Barwin (soreness), running back Saquon Barkley (hamstring), cornerback Donte Deayon (hamstring), tight end Ryan O’Malley (ankle), linebacker Thurston Armbrister (hamstring), and wide receiver Travis Rudolph (quad) did not practice Monday.Around the Inter-GooglePFF's Preseason Week 1 NFL Team of the Week | NFL Analysis | Pro Football FocusPFF's NFL Team of the Week highlights the outstanding play of individuals at every position over the course of the first full week of preseason action in the NFL.2018 Play of the Week – Rookie Preseason Edition | Football Beyond The StatsGame: 3 Various Plays (Cle/NYG, LAR/Bal, Min/Den) Play: Rookies finding their movement ways early What makes this the BTS Play of the Week? Like players (as well as referees too), when a Movement Coach has spent some time away from a task, he has to get his sensory system & perceptual skills re-attuned to the鈥'HARA: Going against Beckham Jr. just another day of practice for SlaySlay was asked how Beckham looked, and if he had his explosiveness back.Devon Kennard tests new role with Lions against ex-teammates on Giants | MLive.comKennard played his first four years in New York but is transitioning to a hybrid role in Detroit.